Thursday, November 11, 2021

Surviving

 I fired my plastic surgeon on Friday. It was my third post-op appointment and everything continues to be healing just fine. I learned (only after my sixth surgery) that the first three follow up appointments are free if completed within 90 days. It was said as an aside, not a statement of policy. I've paid a lot of money to this doctor because this wasn't made clear earlier. I insisted that this last appointment occur before the 90 days expired. Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but y'all have been a pain in my boob. And my wallet.

He wants to do more. He is, after all, a plastic surgeon. He reminded me, as he does at every meeting, that it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind and asked if I had changed my mind about additional plastic surgery. I declined saying it (the results) were good enough and I wanted to be done. 

He seemed to understand and acknowledged that it had been a long road for me. He wished me well and told me to say hello to Hubby and then asked his assistant to book another follow appointment for six months from now.

I told him no, this was the end of the road for me. He didn't try to talk me out of it. If he had any concerns that I needed continued monitoring, he did not express them other than an recommendation to follow up with an oncologist. (I tried but getting medical records proved to be such a hassle that I'm putting it off until the new year. However, I have made an appointment with my GP and we will make a plan for follow up care for the rest of this year: either a mammogram or an MRI.)

I have come to like this man but it hasn't erased everything I've been through. Just in my time with this doctor, I've had three surgeries, miscommunications, appointments when I've been kept waiting for over an hour, billing errors (still unresolved), debt collection - and all of it during COVID when Hubby couldn't always be at my side.

I'm 2.5 years cancer free. I'm not a survivor, I'm surviving as best I can. And that's all any of us can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment