Saturday, December 19, 2020

MRI and a waiting game

There's nothing to do but wait - to receive the vaccine, to the end of the pandemic, and for a surgery that may or may not happen in January.

My surgeon and I do not have the best of relationships, in my opinion, but it would be very difficult to find  another one to take over in the middle of this process. I try to be polite, compliant, and as trusting as I can be. My experience, however, is that he could change his mind at any moment as to what he will do so I can only hope things will go as planned.

The plan is to have surgery to place a tissue expander where my right breast used to be for the purpose of preparing a pocket large enough to house a breast implant at some time in the future. Over time, the volume of the expander is increased until it's the size I want to be - ideally, the same size as the left breast.

I don't know what size I am because I haven't worn a bra since March of 2019. After my mastectomy and earlier reconstruction, I never got fitted for a new bra. I've been wearing what is referred to as a soft bra. It is, indeed, soft and comes in sizes such as small, medium, and large. If I had to guess, my cup size would be an A but a Nordstrom employee who was helping me in a dressing room once upon a time in 2019 opine that I was a B. No matter. I'm not going for anything big. (The implant that was removed was a 200 cc if that's any reference at all.)

In the meantime I had an MRI to confirm that whatever scant tissue is still there continues to be cancer free because in no way to I want to proceed with additional surgery only to find out it might need to be undone yet again. I'd forgotten how loud that machine is and wondered if the noises I was hearing were similar to noises produced in torture. I fared well, remaining calm throughout, but I don't know about the angry, aggressive rock "music" that I've heard is also used in torture. At least it wasn't as bad as that.

The MRI revealed that I continue to be cancer free. Now, all that's left is the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment